Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Show and Tell Tuesday...Reverse Applique


After two surgeries, I think my dad is out of the woods.  He will have a long road of recovery, but things are looking up so I feel I can get back to the things I need to get done, like showing you fun stuff on 'Show and Tell' Tuesday.

A couple of weeks ago I took a Sunday afternoon to work on something for myself...a Reverse Applique 'J'.  I had the idea in my head for awhile and couldn't wait to see what it would look like all made up.

The 'J' is made by taking a piece of muslin and sewing strips of fabric onto it.  Then I printed a 'J' off from my computer in a font that I liked. I cut the 'J' out and traced in onto the green linen fabric with a graphite pencil.  I cut the 'J' out of the green fabric leaving an extra 1/4" seam allowance.  I pinned the green fabric on top of the strippy fabric and as I turned the edges under I used a needle and thread to sew the green fabric to the strippy fabric.

It's a very spectacular look...the green fabric sits on top of the strippy fabric and gives a really neat illusion.  You just won't get that neat look from sewing the strippy fabric on top of the green.  And all those seams would be a bear to turn under to form the 'J'.

The homemade clay button dots the 'J', and I framed it with some cotton batting behind the fabric to give some texture.

The dolly is one of my favorites, picked up from a craft bazaar last year.  I'm a sucker for cute little dollies.

The pin cushion in the lower right corner is my newest pattern due out in a couple of weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE getting feedback on my posts...please leave me a note. Thank you!