Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Show and Tell Tuesday...How to grow SPROUTS!

So far, today has been productive.  I took my girls to school and decided to get the weekly grocery shopping done so I headed off to Winco.  First of all, I have to say, about a year ago I swore off Winco, for numerous reasons I won't bore you with.  But the biggest reason was I would go there, fill up my cart because I knew stuff was so inexpensive and spend my whole grocery budget for the month in one trip, but need to go back the next week for more stuff.  So I decided I would just go to Fred Meyers, use my rewards card, and just get what I needed instead of always stocking up.  As far as I can tell I spent about the same at both places, but much less headache to go to Freddies because it is closer and they bag my groceries which sometimes is so worth it!  But in the mail last week I received a $10 off coupon for Winco and I decided I wasn't going to let that go to waste.  So I trekked there this morning.  I would have to say with my coupon it definitely was worth the trip.

On to the SPROUTS...

About a year ago, I posted a tutorial on growing sprouts and this morning when I was eating my egg white/sprout breakfast sandwhich I felt the post was worth reposting.

Step 1: Buy sprout seeds.  I buy them at my local health food store.  Put a couple TBS in a glass jar cover seeds with water and soak overnight.  I founds the handy dandy lid at the health food store too.  It makes draining them a lot easier, but cheesecloth would work too. 


Step 2 (Day 2):  Drain water from jar, and let sit on counter for a couple hours, then fill jar with water and drain.  Repeat this process, every day for a total of 2-3 times per day.  This keeps the seeds moist so they can grow.




Day 3: They will start look like this.  Keep filling jar with water and draining.
 


Step 3, Day 4-5: Pretty soon you'll have millions of pretty little sprouts! And at this point you can refrigerate.  I continue to add water and drain as needed.


Step 4: EAT!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE getting feedback on my posts...please leave me a note. Thank you!