Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Show and Tell Tuesday




In addition to sewing I love baking...

I wish you could smell the wonderful smell coming from my kitchen right now...I just pulled two loaves of bread from my oven and they smell delicious.  Few things compare to the smell of hot, homemade bread.







 
I have been baking whole wheat homemade bread now for a few months and we have cut out all white bread...what a yummy change it has been not to mention how much better we feel not eating white flour.
 
I make my bread using all whole wheat flour and I prefer King Aurthur's Flour...it's ground fine and does not make the bread heavy at all. 



A long time ago, during the summer's of my college years, I lived in Alaska in a little town called Hoonah.  I had the time of my life cooking for about 100 loggers.  Let's just say when I got married I cooked big portions and had to figure out that I was only cooking for 2, not 100!  Anyway...the camp where I lived put out this cookbook and I was lucky enough to get a copy.  It is priceless!  Dear, sweet people I knew put some of their very best recipes in this book.  And I want to share with you the bread recipe from Marge Smith.  It is the recipe for the bread in the photo above, it can be adapted to anything from cinnamon rolls to dinner rolls and everything in between.  It's so easy to add a little oatmeal, or steal cut oats, or flax and it won't change the recipe one bit.
THE BEST BREAD RECIPE
2 c. of hot tap water
2 pkg. of dry yeast (I use quick rise)
1/2 c. sugar
2 tsp. salt
1/4 c. salad oil
1 egg
Wisk these ingredients together then add:
3 c. of flour - wheat or white
Stir with a large spoon.
Using an electric mixer (such as a Kitchen Aid)
add 1 c. of wheat or white flour at a time until you have mixed in 2-3 c. of flour to reach the desired consistency of dough.
Shape into 2 loaves, let rise, and bake at 350 for 25 minutes.
**Perfect bread dough should be mixed for at least 7 minutes after all flour is added.
 
Thank you, Marge Smith, for a super great recipe.
 
**Note: To cut perfect cinnamon rolls: Cut rolls with Dental Floss! Yes, I said Dental Floss. Take a long piece about 18" long and slide under the long roll and cross floss over the top of the roll and pull out to both sides and it will slice thru the dough like butter - thank you to my grandmother for that very helpful tip.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE getting feedback on my posts...please leave me a note. Thank you!