Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Quilt Beginings

Happy Wednesday!

In my last post I showed you a picture of Joan...well, let me tell you a story about her and I. 

She came to my Applique Class and we started talking and she said "oh, let me show you some thimbles from Alaska".   This peaked my curiousity because I used to live in Alaska.  So I asked her where she had lived and she said Juneau.  I said me too, well at least pretty close to Juneau!  I lived about 60 miles from there in a little logging camp called Whitestone in the little town on Hoonah.  She said "I used to go out to Whitestone and teach the woman quilting classes" "No Way..." I said, "that's where I first started to quilt." 

I'm sure our paths crossed at some point because we shopped at the same little - and I mean little - quilt store and my friends all took quilting classes from Joan.  I don't think I was in any of her classes, but I know a lot of my friends were.  Anyway...super fun to be able to connect with Joan, to talk about old mutual friends, and realize we had been to the same little logging community, and rode in float planes to get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE getting feedback on my posts...please leave me a note. Thank you!